Skip to main content


Showing posts from July, 2004

Switching from XFree to

I have finally made the switch from XFree86 to . On Gentoo I pretty much followed the instructions posted on the Gentoo forums . After setting up the font directories correctly i.e., switch from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts to /usr/share/fonts , KDE was working as usual. There were two problems however: Direct Rendering was disabled on my ATI Radeon 7200 . For some reason all the Mozilla apps (Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird, etc.) would crash as soon as they started rendering a page The first problem was unrelated to the upgrade and was just something that I noticed now. It was easily solved by following this email thread . Essentially I had to make sure that the agpgart module was loaded before the radeon module. I have a VIA KLE133 AGP chipset and so in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 , I have the modules specified in this order: agpgart via-agp radeon With this setup, dmesg should report detection of the AGP chipset first (e.g.: agpgart: Detected VIA KLE13